June 19, 2013

Summer Stitching Club with Mollie Johanson | Wild Olive

Last month, I wrote about a stitch-a-long that I was really excited about. The Wild Olive Summer Stitching Club with Mollie Johanson started at the beginning of June, and now I'm hooked on mini-embroideries and hexies!

Fabric & Floss for Summer Stitching Club
When I last posted about the SSC, I had picked out my fabrics and embroidery floss but hadn't gotten started yet. While at the fabric store, I found myself stuck trying to figure out what fabrics I wanted to use. I saw the same blue that Mollie is using, and tried to resist getting it, but it was so cute, I had to copy her! After I had the blue selected, it was easy to pick the rest. This picture shows a yellow fabric with white circles, which is similar to another fabric that Mollie is using, but I don't think I'll be using that one after all.






When the second week of the SSC began, I still hadn't started cutting fabric or stitching the designs. I was really worried that I would be behind the entire summer, but once I got started, there was no stopping. I was a stitching machine! I even have most of my non-embroidered hexies made, waiting to be stitched together.

2013 Summer Stitching Club - Week 1-3
At the end of the summer, all the hexies can be stitched up together to make a mini-quilt or placemat or whatever else you can imagine. I think I might make mine into a pillow, so I changed the orientation of the hexies. I have a tendency to change my mind, a lot, so who know what it will actually become in the end. I'm excited to find out!

I'm loving making hexies!
I've spent way too much time checking out everyone's projects on Instagram and in the Wild Olive Flickr group, but it's a lot of fun to be creating something right along with people from all over. It's also neat to see how people tweak the project and make it their own. The summer just got started; it's not too late to join us!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is just too cute! Looks like a serious labor of love! Looking forward to seeing the end result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gela. I'm really looking forward to the end result too. The project is paced, one pattern a week for twelve weeks, and it's hard to have patience!

      Delete
  2. I just need to say again how much I am loving seeing your progress on this! Having a group of people working on the same thing and being as excited about it as I am has been so inspirational to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mollie! It's really exciting to be working on a common project with so may people. None of my friends or family embroider, so it's been nice connecting with so many new people that share my interest.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...